Can I get help paying for health insurance -How to sign up for Medicare

How to sign up for Medicare

If you apply for Social Security, you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare. However, if you are still working at age 65 and beyond, you will need to enter. There is a specific time frame for entries and a few choices for the type of cover you want.
Part B Medicare covers doctor visits and outpatient care, as well as preventative care. There are two types of cover: Original, controlled by the federal government, and Advantage Plans, which are run by private insurance companies and are typically HMOs or OPEs.

  • Evaluate your income, general needs and healthcare, and employment. There is a basic monthly premium required, but this amount can go up depending on your annual income and marital status. Even if you are still working, you can apply for Part B Medicare if it acts as a secondary cover.
  • Check your options. You’ll need to choose between Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage. Original Medicare allows you to choose any healthcare worker who accepts Medicare as payment for services. You will pay a monthly premium for Part B coverage, and co-payments may apply.
    Medicare Advantage is typically an HMO or PPO plan, which means you will need to stay within the healthcare provider network that is part of that HMO or PPO. You will have a copay in addition to your premium.
    For a thorough explanation of coverage for both plans, go to the Medicare website listed in Resources.
  • Follow the guidelines time to sign up. There is a seven-month period in which to sign up for the first time. Begin three months before your 65th birthday and end three months after your birthday, you may enroll in Medicare. If you do not sign up during this period, you will have to wait until the open subscription period, which is November 15 to December 31, Your coverage will not start before the next January.
  • Get help and answer questions. o27 Health Insurance provides answers to many of your questions about its Medicare website.
  • Go to your local Social Security office.